Unable to open user login file <path to login file>
Tony
2008-04-08 13:58:31 UTC
Hello!

I have a user that have problem when he is going to use sourcesafe 6.0
He get the following error message when he is going to use sourcesafe
"Unable to open user login file <path to login file>"

I have looked up the error message and the solution in sourcesafe and here
it is.

Unable to open user login file <path to login file>
This warning has the following cause and solution:

a.. The user does not have Write access to the VSS database.
Grant the user full rights to the VSS directory and all its
subdirectories.

All VSS users must have the ability to read, write, create and erase files
in the VSS directory and all subdirectories

When other user is using the sourcesafe a file is created in this folder
G:\UHT-SSDB\data\loggedin with name xxx.log where xxx is the username.
If a click in Visual SourceSafe 6.0 Admin I can see that the user is loggin
in because
the column named LoggedIn has a value yes for this specific user.

If I click on File->Open SourceSafe Database in sourcesafe and set the same
username as the one that has problem
it works on my node.

The problem is that I don't know how to fix this problem despite having the
solution above
Can somebody explain in a understandable way what I shell do.

Note the sourcesafe is stored on a fileserver.

//Tony
Billy Jacobs
2008-04-08 15:13:02 UTC
You need to do the following:
1. Get on the computer where Source Safe is located.
2. In the root path of the source safe directory. (e.g. G:\UHT-SSDB) right
click and select properties.
3. Select the Security Tab
4. Make sure the user has read and write access to this folder and all sub
folders and files within the folder.

If this is on a share you will also need to do the following:
1. After you are done on the security Tab from the steps above, select the
Sharing Tab.
2. Click the Permissions button.
3. Give the user permissions to this share.

Instead of giving permissions to individual users you can also give it to
groups and make sure all of your source safe users are in that group.
//Tony
Tony Johansson
2008-04-08 18:56:10 UTC
Hello!!

I just wonder when I used the same username as the one that have problem on
my computer it works.
Do you still mean that what you have written will solve my problem in spite
of what I have written on the previous row.

//Tony
//Tony
Billy Jacobs
2008-04-08 20:04:01 UTC
Yes because when you login with the other user's credentials on your machine
it is using your NTFS file permissions to access the files not the log-in
credentials for source safe.

The only purpose of the login credentials for source safe is to get into
source safe, not to access files on a server.